Sunday, January 19, 2014

Tokyo Day 1- getting there

I can't count the day I landed in Tokyo as Day 1. I call that jetlagged fog. I didn't sleep particularly well the night before I left- in part because I was packing and nervous and thinking of all of the things I was forgetting. In part because in my silly wisdom, I figured that it was getting me closer to being on Japan time. Ha!

I guess I can talk for a second about my flight. I flew nonstop on the new(ish) Dreamliner 788. I didn't really notice anything different about it- just slightly larger than a 747. From a business class travel view- it was about the same as any American Airlines flight, not as good as a British Airways or Virgin flight. Service was very good, food was good, but no amenities kit. They cam around with a tray of amenities that you could pick from- eye masks, ear plugs, respiratory masks, and toothbrushes. The windows didn't have blinds- at a touch they lightened or darkened. That was nice because you could still see out even if you had the "blinds" down in order to sleep. We flew over the arctic circle- nothing but ice to see.

The food was good on the plane. It was either Japanese or French. Given that the Japanese guy next to me ordered the French, I decided that was a good choice. I've never been a fan of cold airplane seafood and this would be no exception.

 It took about an hour and a half to drive (well, ride really since I had a car service pick me up) from Narita airport to the hotel in Tokyo. I saw Cinderella's Castle at Disneyland Tokyo as I drove by. When I got to the hotel, check in was very easy. First observation, service personnel, at the hotel, driving the car, everywhere are exceedingly formal and polite. Wow. They are constantly bowing, and they wear formal white gloves with their perfectly pressed suits.

The room was very simple- a nice size and with a very modern Japanese aesthetic. A sliding rice paper door separates the entry from the living area. There is a spot to take off your shoes and put on slippers when you first walk in. First things first- I needed to see the toilet. I had heard about these: heated seats with multiple spray options. I was not disappointed. Althought the warm seat was disconcerting. I think I am used to that first Oh! chill when you sit down. The warmness makes me feel like someone else was just sitting on it. (eek!)


So, the first night was a bit uncomfortable. I had a pounding headache and was way overtired (some wisdom I had staying up). A few phone calls home, some unpacking, and some peanut butter crackers and I finally called it a night around 6pm Japan time (3am EST). I awoke around 6am Japan time after taking a bath, another phone call home, and some reading when I woke up in the middle of the night due to jetlag. Sunrise was starting and I was looking out at the Diet building- essentially the Japanese Capitol building for their version of Congress. I believe I am right next door to the  Prime Ministers office too. Beyond the Diet building, is the Imperial Palace and Gardens. That will be on my list for today.

I showered. Well, let me restate- I stood under a minor waterfall that felt Niagra. The handheld sprayer could be used to remove paint. So freshly exfoliated and clean I headed out for my first day of adventure- wandering. My scheduled food tour for that evening was cancelled so I would be completely on my own. I first stuffed myself with a Western-style breakfast buffet. I had no idea what food was going to be like so I figured I should eat well while I could.

Next door was the Hie Shrine. A Shinto shrine that was reconstructed after the WWII bombings.  As I had no idea about what to do in a Shinto shrine other than what my travel book had told me, I first did the ritual cleansing of my hands and mouth and stepped into the courtyard. I can't wait to do this tomorrow with the tourguide so I can learn about what everything is. But the people there spoke no English, so I just looked around.












I walked out down some steps. Each step had a Tori gate making a beautiful walkway.

Now to find the Imperial Palace!








No comments:

Post a Comment